SQLBI - Marco Russo

SQLBI is a blog dedicated to building Business Intelligence solutions with SQL Server.
You can follow me on Twitter: @marcorus

MDX Studio download #mdx #ssas

Short version: the latest available version of MDX Studio can be downloaded from http://www.sqlbi.com/tools/mdx-studio/

Long version: Last week Stacia Misner twitted that the online version of MDX Studio was no longer available. It was hosted on http://mdx.mosha.com. It was a sad news, and it is also not good that nobody is maintaining the desktop version of MDX Studio. The latest release is the 0.4.14 and as I am writing it is still available on a SkyDrive link provided by Mosha Pasumansky, who wrote MDX Studio. Mosha does not work in Microsoft now and the entire BI community hopes that somebody will continue its work on this product. Unfortunately, it cannot be published on CodePlex because of some IP restrictions.

Only bad news? Well, I hope no. The first good news is that MDX Studio also works with Analysis Services 2012 in Multidimensional mode. The second news is that, after having checked that we can do that, we created a web page on SQLBI web site to download the latest available release of MDX Studio. I hope it will be necessary to update it in the future, by now it is just a way to simplify the finding and download of this precious tool, and to grant that it will not disappear in case the current SkyDrive using to host the download would be discontinued, like it happened to the MDX Studio online version.

Now a question to the BI Community: I know that there was some content available regarding tutorial on MDX Studio. I’d like to gather it and to put all in a single place. If you have such content, please contact me directly writing to marco (dot) russo (at) sqlbi [dot] com. Thanks!

UPDATE 2014-09-09 A refresh is now available with a fix for running with named instances and with Analysis Services 2014.

Published Monday, September 24, 2012 2:52 PM by Marco Russo (SQLBI)

Comments

Joerg said:

Hello Marco,

thank you for this services.

I recently found an online tool to format mdx and dax.

Joerg

September 24, 2012 12:17 PM

Frenk said:

What's Mosha working on I wonder... Still at Google? Seems like he vanished :-(

September 24, 2012 12:25 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

@Joerg - thanks for the link, I forgot that tool!

#Frenk - he's still working at Google, I don't know exactly on which project.

September 26, 2012 1:22 PM

Suhas said:

@Marco and Joerg Thanks you for great information. Actually I struggle lot to find out any alternative web based solution to http://mdx.mosha.com.

Once again thank you.

Regards,

Suhas

October 5, 2012 1:54 AM

PhilC said:

Hi Marco

Many thanks for making this available

However, I am using SSAS 2012 (multidimensional not tabular) and when I load MDX Studio I get the following error:

"Could not load file or assembly "Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.Version=10.0.0.0"

As my version of adomdclient is 11.0.0.0 is there something I can do to make MDX Studio work with SSAS 2012?

Thanks again

Phil

October 10, 2012 7:28 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

PhilC,

you are right - if you don't have SQL Server 2008/2008R2 installed on your PC, you don't have the Adomd.Client installed.

You should download and install just the missing library from this link:

Use the first MSI if you have a 64bit operating system, or the x86 MSI if you have a 32bit

SQLSERVER2008_ASAMO10_amd64.msi 4.6 MB Download

SQLSERVER2008_ASAMO10_x86.msi

October 10, 2012 7:53 AM

PhilC said:

Many Thanks for the link Marco. However, when I downloaded just

SQLSERVER2008_ASAMO10_amd64.msi the problem still occurred.

I also had to download and install

SQLSERVER2008_ASADOMD10_amd64.msi and now everything is fine with MDX Studio.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else was having the same issue

Thanks again

Phil

October 10, 2012 11:11 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Well done - thank you for the feedback, it will help other people!

October 10, 2012 11:20 AM

Guenter said:

Improving Mosha's work seems difficult - but maybe someone sees it as a challenge.

If I were to change the code: where can it be found, an who (except Mosha) knows which parts have IP on it so we could work on replacing them?

Guenter from Frankfurt/Germany

October 12, 2012 4:21 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Unfortunately I don't have access to this information :(

October 12, 2012 6:35 AM

Tarek Demiati said:

Glad to know that MDX Studio will still work for SQL Server 2012 :-)

Would it be a hell of a job to do a full rewrite of this tool,

so it can be easily maintained in the future ...

Maybe an open source should be kick started and the work load splitted across multiple developers ?

Who wants to work on the MDX parser algorithm ? ;-)

January 25, 2013 8:28 PM

hxy0135 said:

Hi Marco,

thank you for put this together!

I downloaded the studio and connected it to my SQL 2012 instance, it works. However, I found in its Permmon window, only time counter showns the right value, other counters like Calc Covers, Sonar subcubes etc are all 0.  Do I need install anything else?

April 29, 2013 8:05 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Are you running MDX Studio with a non-admin user?

That part works only when it runs as administrator, if I remember well.

April 29, 2013 8:23 AM

hxy0135 said:

Marco,

I tried run it as Administrator. I got the same.

Thank you for your reply!

April 29, 2013 10:57 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Take a look at this thread:

Let us know if you find the fix, so we'll keep the comments here updated.

Thanks,

Marco

April 29, 2013 11:12 AM

hxy0135 said:

I followed the suggestion at http://ssas-info.com/forum/3-mdx-studio/1098-perfmon-counter-always-0

I added my account to the group "Performance Logs User Group" on my server.

then ran the MDX studio both local on the server or remote from my local computer,none of them worked.

Thanks

April 29, 2013 1:04 PM

Vadym said:

Actually, you need to install both:

SQLSERVER2008_ASADOMD10_x86.msi and SQLSERVER2008_ASAMO10_x86.msi

It's just for 32bit version.

March 21, 2014 12:33 PM

Refa Abay said:

Running MDX Studio against SQL 2014

This awesome tool also works with SQL Server 2014 (64 Bit german).

I've done it this way:

Refa

May 4, 2014 9:46 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Thanks Refa!

May 4, 2014 10:53 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

New download available - direct support for SSAS 2014 and performance counters works with named instance.

September 9, 2014 2:44 AM