SQLBI - Marco Russo

SQLBI is a blog dedicated to building Business Intelligence solutions with SQL Server.
You can follow me on Twitter: @marcorus

Permissions to display a report in SharePoint Services (SSRS integrated mode)

This is the type of blog posts you write after you spent hours on a stupid issue and you want to remind what’s happened. And may be it will help someone else in the future.

Scenario: you have a MOSS 2007 with SSRS 2008 in SharePoint integrated mode. You already installed the Reporting Services Addin for SharePoint 2007, everything is right, you create a report and you can see the report.

But, another user, who has the rights to view the report (but that cannot change it) is not able to display the report.

The error is: The Permission granted to user DOMAIN\UserName is insufficient for performing this operation.(rsAccessDenied)

There could be lots of cause to this error and SSRS diagnostics here is really bad. There are no logs that really explain the reason for that. Before you lose hours, check if you approved the data source. Yes, your report have one or more data source(s), and if you are using a shared data source, it has to be approved! Yes, when you save your RDS file as a shared data source (for example, deploying it with BIDS), it is saved in a “suspended” state. It has to be approved before it can be used by someone else who is not a report owner.

Thus, in case of rsAccessDenied, check your data source(s) and if there are shared data source(s), check it has been approved.

This is not the first time I came across this issue, and writing this post could be the right way to fix it my memory (or making it accessible by Bing/Google, which is pretty much the same!).

Published Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:06 AM by Marco Russo (SQLBI)

Comments

needSleep said:

You can't believe how many hours I spent reading blogs, trying solutions and always with no result...

And then I came across this post...

Approve the data source...

And It works....

Thank you sooooo much!

February 17, 2010 10:10 AM

BigGuy147 said:

Thanks. I have a similar problem with SSRS 2005 and WSS3.0 (not Moss). How do I "approve" the data source once it is deployed?

March 30, 2010 10:52 AM

PortPortPort said:

Awesome!  Totally awesome.  Just like needSleep spent way to much time looking for the fix to this issues.  Thanks a ton!

July 28, 2010 5:15 PM

PortPortPort said:

July 28, 2010 5:15 PM

Larry K said:

Thank you so much for posting this...you've a life saver.

December 23, 2011 10:17 AM

Brent K said:

You may also have this error if (1) you are using a shared data source and (2) the usr is not a site "member".  If you only want to have users be "Viewers", then remove the shared data source and assign the data source within the report.

January 16, 2012 2:51 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Thanks for the comment, Brent!

January 16, 2012 4:36 PM

Emil Glownia said:

Thanks a lot that saved me a lot of time. They didn't make it very obvious.

January 31, 2012 7:56 AM

Isa said:

I spent two days trying to understand why I had the problem. Cheers

November 13, 2012 5:26 AM

Rudolf said:

Thanks MAN!

November 29, 2012 7:59 AM

San said:

I have the same problem(SSRS -2008 & SP-2010) Where I need to approve, I don't see any option

December 21, 2012 6:25 AM

MD said:

Thanks a lot for the post. I am using SP2010, so instead of approving, I just had to publish a major version for the same effect. Thanks again.

January 17, 2013 4:54 AM

RD said:

Seems like a theme here - I spent a good 8 hours chasing this down -

March 12, 2013 1:22 PM

Blaž Dakskobler said:

Actually, Brent K, as far as I've tested it, it is enough to have "View Only" permissions on the shared data source, and it works. No need to use a custom data source instead of the shared one.

Also, if you use a higher permission level than "View Only" (e.g. "Read"), then users can access and use that shared data source in Report Builder etc. Which may not be what you wanted to achieve security-wise.

April 16, 2013 10:20 AM

kabelo said:

Where I need to approve, I don't see any option (sharepoint 2010)

July 30, 2014 7:03 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

It is available if you have workflow enabled, probably. You shold see it in the context menu of the file, and you need rights to do that. Ask to your SharePoint administrator (I'm not a SharePoint expert for all these configuration details).

July 30, 2014 7:57 AM