SQLBI - Marco Russo

SQLBI is a blog dedicated to building Business Intelligence solutions with SQL Server.
You can follow me on Twitter: @marcorus

Expert Cube Development with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services

It is finally available the SSAS 2008 book I wrote with Chris Webb and Alberto Ferrari: Expert Cube Development with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services. The book is also available on Amazon. You can also read a sample chapter for free.

We worked several months on this book, but I’d say it is the result of years of experience on the field that we’ve compared and distilled into a single not-too-long book. We take for grant that the reader is already comfortable with the concepts of dimensions and measures of a cube and we spent all our efforts in condensing best practices, advices and warning about not-good-habits and not-so-good-features in eleven chapters (like you can see in the Table of Contents), ranging all the lifecycle of a cube from the data warehouse design to the deployment and performance optimization.

You could expect that this could be an under the cover book for ubergeek readers, but it is not. We wanted to create a practical guide to transfer experience and give guidance on real-world projects, problems and solutions. We considered both the large cube scenarios and the equally important and widespread small-medium cube case.

I hope that the final result is what we dreamed at the beginning: a book we would have had on the shelf the first day we started to work on a real project with Analysis Services. Time and readers will say if we reached this goal also for other SSAS developers.

Published Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:20 PM by Marco Russo (SQLBI)

Comments

Alejandro Mesa said:

Marco,

Congratulations for the publication of the book!!!

Looking forward to read it.

AMB

July 22, 2009 3:27 PM

Bhavik said:

Sample chapter looks good!

July 25, 2009 2:12 PM

Tomislav Piasevoli said:

Congratulations to the new book to you and Alberto! (I've congratulated Chris in his own blog)

Bought it the same day it was announced on SSAS-Info, skipped through the content and decided it deserves to be added among recommended books on my blog.

Also, a great choice of publisher, the one with a nice attitude.

July 28, 2009 5:40 AM

Alister McPherson said:

The book was delivered yesterday and I have found it incredibly useful so far!

July 31, 2009 7:12 AM

SQLBI - Marco Russo said:

I already talked about the Expert Cube Development with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services book

September 11, 2009 9:34 PM

Jeremy Knowles said:

Has much changed between SQL Server 2005 and 2008 in this regard. I was looking for such a book but we're still stuck with SQL 2005 at the moment.

October 1, 2009 11:41 AM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Not so much - SSAS 2005 would have deserved a few more notes about issues that have been solved in SSAS 2008.

In general, 80-90% of the book is good for SSAS 2005 too.

October 1, 2009 11:48 AM

Jeremy Knowles said:

Great, thanks (that was quick!). I'm sure I'll work it out. I'll go order it! I haven't done any OLAP cube stuff before at all (I'm a developer), but we have a large stock database that is just crying out for some cube work. I've called the project Stock Cube ;-) I've got it basically working, but am in need of some ideas, so hopefully your book will do that. I've just had a browse through the sample chapter so I think so.

Regards

Jeremy

October 1, 2009 12:02 PM

Marco Russo (SQLBI) said:

Remember that our book is not a tutorial nor a step-by-step book.

It is very valuable, but you may need another book to use as a reference for basic operations.

October 1, 2009 12:08 PM

Jeremy Knowles said:

That's OK, I think I'm OK with basic stuff, it's things like

1) How do I make my stock date appear in quarters, YTD etc ?

2) How do I make a measure from combined columns (like ColToShow=Col1+Col2+Col3)?

3) What are all these other bits in the project that I haven't like KPIs and Partitions and can they be of use to me?

4) Why are all my row numbers the same because I obviously did something wrong in the way I created the measures! I see a similar thing in your sample chapter so it's obviously a common thing.

Anyway, I've ordered the book, so I'll report back when I've had time to read and learn...

October 2, 2009 5:24 AM

SQLBI - Marco Russo said:

I’ve been so busy in the last weeks that I wasn’t able to blog about PASS Summit 2009, so here’s a short

November 9, 2009 8:14 PM