Adam Machanic

SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos

Thank you to everyone who joined me today at SQL Saturday Chicago for my "Clash of the Row Goals" session. I'm honored that so many people would attend a talk with such an incredibly arcane title -- and always glad to find a curious, interested, and intelligent audience.

The demos I showed during the session are attached to this post. If you have any followup questions, feel free to leave a comment below.

Enjoy!

Published Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:37 PM by Adam Machanic

Attachment(s): machanic_sqlsat291_row_goals.zip

Comments

Daniel K said:

Hi Adam,

one Thing about adventureworks and your Demos (02_logic.sql): Microsoft changed this sample db, Employee Table does not have the column ManagerId anymore. So People who download a fresh Version from here: msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/93587 cant run your Demos.

Here is a description how one can recreate it

sqlblog.com/blogs/paul_nielsen/archive/2008/10/03/recursive-ctes-in-adventureworks-2008.aspx , also sqlblog ;-)

But I could understand (and reproduce with another column) the concept, that ist better to Aggregate before the join.

Maybe, you could provide a source for an "old" adventureworks or Change the script to the new Version, for future Demos?

I couldn't be at the sessions, so I am trying to understand the ideas from the demos/queryplans. Hope that works ;-)

Greetings

Daniel

April 29, 2014 7:42 AM

Dave Gugg said:

Hey Adam

I loved your presentation.  Unfortunately, I just started a new job where all the SQL comes straight from 3rd party applications, so I won't be able to use this anytime soon.  I can think of tons of examples from my previous job where I could have used this instead of creating temp tables and joining them to ensure join order.

Thanks again for the presentation.

April 29, 2014 12:59 PM

Dave Gugg said:

PS, I'd love to see a blog post about how a DBA can get into consulting.  I've been intrigued by the idea, but I'm not sure the path one takes.

April 29, 2014 1:00 PM

Dave Gugg said:

Hey, quick follow up.  I finally got an opportunity to use what you showed here, and I was able to reduce a SP used for grabbing reporting data from 414,479 CPU and 309,684,392 reads to 733 CPU and 19,891 reads.  Sweet!

July 10, 2014 12:36 PM

Coach outlet mall in san marcos Texas said:

Adam Machanic : SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos

November 12, 2014 2:14 AM

http://www.sarniaballroomdancingclub.ca/LegitSite/?Tag=Coaches+For+Sale said:

Adam Machanic : SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos

November 12, 2014 8:21 AM

http://www.sarniaballroomdancingclub.ca/Photos/view/?p=Cheap-Jordans-Free-Shipping-Back-To-School said:

Adam Machanic : SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos

November 12, 2014 8:25 AM

seo tampa said:

Adam Machanic : SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos

November 13, 2014 4:59 PM

please click the up coming document said:

Adam Machanic : SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos

November 18, 2014 2:17 AM

Coach Emma Sunglasses said:

Adam Machanic : SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos

November 19, 2014 12:45 AM

mouse click the following website page said:

Adam Machanic : SQL Saturday Chicago (#291) - Clash of the Row Goals - Demos